Chocolate Sheet Cake

You may know this recipe as Texas Mud Cake, but I know it as Quick Cocoa Cake. It's actually way too sweet for our family's tastes, but even so, we make it on occasion and I wanted to archive the recipe. I also remember that the first time I made it, I didn't believe that it had to set hours before cutting and serving. I was wrong! You have to plan in advance, but this makes a great "pot luck" dish because it's easy, makes a lot, and doesn't have expensive ingredients. I made this version without the nuts (using Halloween sprinkles instead), and discovered that I like it better with the nuts.Quick Cocoa Cake
(from the Hollister Relief Society Cookbook)

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 teaspoon soda in 1/2 cup sour milk (or buttermilk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup cocoa powder
6 tablespoons milk
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts

Combine sugar, flour and salt in a bowl. Bring water, 1/2 cup butter and 1/3 cup cocoa powder to a boil and stir into dry ingredients. Stir in eggs, sour milk and vanilla. Pour into a greased 10x15" pan and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.

Bring 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup cocoa powder and milk to a boil. Stir in powdered sugar, vanilla and nuts. Spread on warm cake. Chill for several hours before serving.



3/12/2017 note: This was served at the family lunch following Savannah's blessing, and Kara mentioned using 3 sticks of butter. I'm guessing their family recipe is similar to Pioneer Woman's which is just like the above with twice the butter in the cake!

Comments

  1. I love recipes that make a large pan and don't include expensive ingredients. This would be perfect for a potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Texas sheet cake here!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment