Butternut Squash Bisque

We had butternut squash in our last co-op basket, and a friend sent this recipe so we'd have an idea of how to cook it. It was so good, we've had it twice this week. Give it a try!

Regina's Butternut Squash Soup 

1 butternut squash, cut up 
1 medium to large white onion 
3-4 cloves garlic 
1 large peeled carrot 
4 ounces cream cheese 
approx. 1-3 cups chicken broth 
approx. 1 cup half-n-half 
1-2 teaspoons salt 
fresh ground pepper 

Boil vegetables together until soft, about 30-40 minutes, and drain. PureĆ© cooked vegetables together in blender with cream cheese. Slowly add chicken stock until it's the consistency you like. Add the half-n-half and season to taste. 

Note: The first time I did this, I cut and peeled the butternut squash before cooking it. That was hard work. Tara suggests boiling it witht he skin on and then peeling it before putting it in the blender. However, the second time I cut the squash in half, scooped out the seeds, placed it upside-down on a cookie sheet and baked it until it was soft. Then I peeled it. I cooked the carrots and onions in the chicken broth and then combined everything together to pureƩ it. I also used cream instead of half-n-half, because that's what we had in the refrigerator. If we'd had neither, I would have used some milk and I'm sure it would have tasted fine.

Comments