Pie Crusts

The other day I experimented and tried Pioneer Woman's "perfect" pie crust; I didn't notice that it was any better than my normal recipe. (But be sure and click here to find her recipe and the beautiful tutorial pictures!) I've used her trick of freezing pie dough for later use for a long time. Anytime I can cut shortening into flour once and benefit from it several times is a good thing to me. Anyway, here's the recipe I use - tried and true from Betty Crocker.


Pastry for a Two-Crust Pie

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
up to 1/3 cup cold water

Combine flour and salt and cut in shortening. Sprinkle in cold water and stir gently until it forms a ball. Divide in half and roll out on floured surface to use in pie recipes.

Note: I usually double (or triple) this. What I don't use immediately, I wrap (in one crust portions) in wax paper and then put in a freezer bag and freeze for later use. It doesn't take long to thaw.

Comments