Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Colcannon

I came across this recipe in the newspaper 20 years ago and we tried it that year for St. Patrick's Day. It was pretty good. Today I had some cabbage and potatoes that needed to be used, so I made it again. So now I'm posting it, and YOU can make it on March 17th if you want.
Colcannon

1 small cabbage, steamed and chopped fine
2 cups hot seasoned mashed potatoes
2 tablespoons bacon drippings, butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch white pepper

Mix cabbage with remaining ingredients, spoon into buttered casserole and roughen surface with a fork. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 35-45 minutes until lightly browned. Makes 4 servings.

3/17/2010 - edited for "Works for Me Wednesday" at We are THAT Family
Welcome! Although normally I link to my main blog - NeverBored - I thought I'd link to this one today. I hope you enjoy this fun, easy, delicious, and even healthy, St. Patrick's Day treat. Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Becky ... My Mom use to make this, it is so yummy! And soooo Irish! We used bacon drippings - and I tell you, it gives it such a nice flavor! Thanks for sharing it! Served with ham or cornbeef - and you are Irish for a night!

    ReplyDelete