Enchilada Casserole

Previously I've shared our regular enchilada recipe, which we make rarely, and the shortcut tortilla stack recipe, which we make fairly often. However, I realized today that I hadn't posted about the combination of the two that we'll occasionally try. Basically, it's a stacked version of enchiladas, complete with the sauce, so it's not as dry as the tortilla stack. Here's our version of Enchilada Casserole:

Prepare the sauce mixture. The recipe I started with today called for 1/3 cup flour, 2 tablespoons chili powder, 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and 4 cups water. (However, I cut the water to 2 cups and added a can of tomato sauce. And usually I'll use the sauce recipe found in the link above.)

Combine that with 1 pound cooked ground turkey/beef (or even wheat/meat), 1 1/2 cups chopped onions and 2 minced garlic cloves. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook for 8-10 minutes. If I'm in a generous mood, I'll add sliced olives to this mixture; it's an easy way to make everyone happy.

Once that's ready, grease a baking dish and line it with a layer of tortillas. (Most recipes call for corn tortillas, but our family prefers flour tortillas.) Top with some of the sauce and a layer of grated cheese. Repeat two more times, leaving off the last layer of cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover, top with cheese and bake for 5 more minutes. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

Comments