Sunday Dinner

"That was good. You should go write down what you did. And you should post it on your blog." So I will, particularly since I looked at about three or four recipes and took bits and pieces from each. On the way to church Michelle wondered what was for dinner. I said I had thawed chicken thighs and was trying to figure that out, but probably something with rice. She suggested Teriyaki Chicken, and after some discussion (which included the possibility - quickly vetoed - of Mexican Molé), I told her I'd see if I could come up with something teriyaki-ish. This was the result.
Teriyaki Mushroom Chicken

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 chicken thighs
4 oz can of mushrooms, undrained
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

Heat the oil in a frying pan; add the chicken and brown on both sides. Salt and pepper to taste Combine the mushrooms, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and garlic. Pour over chicken and simmer until done (about 35-45 minutes). Combine cornstarch and water, stir into sauce and cook until thickened. Serve over hot cooked rice.
Notes: The basic sauce was a marinade recipe I had for broiled chicken breasts. We didn't have time to marinade the chicken, but cooking it in the sauce infused it with flavor. I added the mushrooms because the original recipe called for sherry, and for years I've used the liquid from canned mushrooms as a substitute for that when cooking dinner. Besides, one of the other recipes I looked at was Giant Teriyaki Meatballs, and that sauce contained mushrooms.

Comments