English Trifle

The other day we had some Jello Cake that had been sitting in the fridge for a while (where's Steven when you need him?!) along with some blueberries that were going soft.  The inspiration came to make an English Trifle, something that I haven't done in years because my husband doesn't really care for it.  However, it brings back fond memories of my childhood, so I made it anyway.  Wayne said it actually wasn't too bad; the pudding hadn't turned the cake into mush yet.  I remember my grandmother's trifle having chunks of cake and cubes of jello; maybe combining the two beforehand helped with the "mushy" factor.
There's really no recipe, just a process: Layer cake chunks (and jello bits), fruit pieces, pudding and whipped cream in a bowl.  Chill and serve.  See, isn't that simple?  This version actually looked quite patriotic.  Maybe I'll make another one for my birthday some year!

Comments