Ten Minute Rolls (or Corn Biscuits)

We wanted something to serve with the Tamal en Cazuela and so I decided to see if these Ten Minute Rolls really only took ten minutes. Unfortunately, I forgot to time myself, mainly because the soup took longer than ten minutes to make. However,

  • they were quick (heating the oven was the most time-consuming step), 
  • they were a fantastic way to use up the mayonnaise in the fridge (which lasts far too long in our house),
  • I didn't have to cut in shortening (always a plus in my book), 
  • it was a small batch so there weren't any leftovers (for some reason my family only likes "hot out of the oven" rolls) 
  • and, while they were more biscuits than rolls, they tasted great.  

Ten Minute Rolls/Biscuits

1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 - 1/3 cup milk

Combine dry ingredients, then stir in the mayonnaise and milk.  Plop into six greased muffin tins. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes.  Serve hot.

Variation: Use 1/4 cup cornmeal in place of 1/4 cup flour. Divide into four pieces and bake on cookie sheet.

Another Variation: Use 1/2 wheat flour and 1/2 white flour (1/2 cup each). This time around I also kneaded it briefly on the counter, formed a square, and cut the dough into four pieces.

Comments