Banana Oatmeal Cookies - A Pinterest Experiment

What's the point of having a Pinterest account if you don't do anything with it?  So, I'm trying to actual try some of the things I pin, and I'll let you know how they turn out, just in case you decide you want to try them as well, or not!  Besides, if I'm going through the extra step of taking pictures, I ought to do something with them.

This first recipe caught my attention as I was trying to come up with something to share with my early-morning seminary class.  I wanted something that was simple to make, easy to eat (i.e. finger food), tasty yet healthy, and inexpensive too.  I also have a student with a very long list of foods to which she's allergic, and was hoping to have something that she could eat as well.  That's not too much to ask, is it?

Anyway, since this cookie only had two ingredients - bananas and oatmeal - I figured H would be able to eat them.  They were also easy, healthy, and inexpensive.  So, I decided to see if they fit the "tasty" requirement as well.
You need two ripe bananas and one cup of quick oats.
 Mash them together.  At this point I formed a couple of cookies for H.
But then I added two tablespoons of chopped nuts and two tablespoons of mini chocolate chips to the mixture in the bowl before forming the rest of the cookies.  This recipe makes about 15.
I read on one of the reviews that these keep their shape while baking, so I "smooshed" them just a bit to help them look more like cookies.
Bake them for 15 minutes at 350° on a greased cookie sheet, and you're done!

The verdict: the seminary students ate them.  They will never take the place of a "real" chocolate chip cookie, with or without oats, but they weren't bad at all.  It's nice to have another option when it's time to use up the over-ripe bananas.  And even with the nuts and chocolate, they're only 50 calories a piece!

Comments