Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Spinach Salad - A Pinterest Experiment

The doctor said my lab results showed I was anemic, so I figured I should eat more spinach.  We gave Jamie's Spinach Cranberry Salad a try and it was delicious.  If you eat this often enough, maybe you can avoid that diagnosis for yourself.
Jamie's Spinach Cranberry Salad
Serves 8
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 3/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
  • 1 pound spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
  • 1/2 cup white sugar  (Note: I used half this amount and it was just fine.)
  • 2 teaspoons minced onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil

In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook and stir almonds in butter until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and let cool.  (Note: I omitted the butter and just toasted the almonds in a non-stick skillet.)  In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, onion, paprika, white wine vinegar, cider vinegar, and vegetable oil.  Toss with spinach, almonds and cranberries just before serving.  



1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! I bet you could substitute agave nectar for the sugar in the dressing as well and no one would notice a difference.

    ReplyDelete