Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Mousse Filling

We picked up some raspberries at Costco the other day, with the object of making a yummy dessert with them.  I searched high and low to find what I was imagining, with no success, so that meant I had to create my own recipe.  I was looking for something chocolate-y and creamy and light.  I'm not so sure this would be considered "light" but it was definitely delicious.  And the mousse was delicious all on its own, which might be the best way to serve it in the future!

Raspberry Mousse
Soften 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin in 2 tablespoons cold water.  Heat in microwave for about one minute to dissolve.  Stir in 1/2 cup raspberry jam.  Whip 1 cup of cream with 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, and 1/4 cup fresh raspberries if desired. Stir two mixtures together and chill.

Chocolate Cake

1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup boiling water

Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In a large bowl combine egg, milk, oil and vanilla.  Stir in the dry ingredients, and then stir in the boiling water.  Pour into a greased 9" round cake pan and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.  Cool
Note:  Can easily double this for a two-layer cake.

To assemble, split the cooled cake in half horizontally.  (If you want to make two layers, that's fine, but the cake part will be thicker and that's not what I wanted.)  Place one on a cake plate and top with the raspberry mousse, and then the other cake.  "Frost" with Hot Fudge Sauce and garnish with fresh raspberries.  Chill.  Serves 12.

Note: Next time I'll try making a ganache for the frosting, which is what most of my "inspiration" recipes used, but I didn't plan far enough ahead and I used all the cream in the mousse.

Comments