Salted Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies

I pinned this recipe a while ago, and today was the day to try it. It's the perfect recipe to use up the last bit of pretzels in the bag! The original author wasn't too enamored of the dough, so I used my regular chocolate chip cookie recipe for that. I did halve it, though, just in case we didn't like this combination of flavors. So this recipe is for about 2 dozen cookies - the perfect amount if you don't want temptation around. However, it's easily doubled, and doubled again, if you need a bunch for a Mutual activity or family reunion picnic.


Salted Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup shortening
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup broken pretzels
coarse salt

Combine flour, baking soda and salt and set aside. Cream butter, shortening and sugars. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips and pretzels. Drop by tablespoonfuls on cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Note: Although the original recipe said to sprinkle with the coarse salt before baking, I found that it dissolved in the oven. Next time I'll try sprinkling it on the hot cookies, immediately after removing them from the oven. You'll also notice I added some mini Reese's pieces; since I was running low on peanut butter chips, I felt that was a great substitute for part of them. I'm sure you could  use regular semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of the milk chocolate or peanut butter chips.

Comments