Twix Cookies

I came across this recipe today, and since I was thinking it was time to try a new cookie recipe, it was just perfect. I'm sorry Steven isn't here to taste test them for me. Because he isn't here, I decided to only do 1/3 of the batch, and that was easily done (although these are amounts for the entire batch). As you can see, there are three different recipes to make, and then you combine them.
Twix Cookies - makes about 4 1/2 dozen

Shortbread Cookies
1½ cups butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt

Cream butter and sugar together, then add vanilla, flour and salt and mix well. Wrap in wax paper and chill for a bit. Then roll out to 1/4" (the original recipe said 1/2", so thicker is better than thinner) and cut out with 2" round cookie cutter. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Cool

Caramel Layer
15 oz of caramel
2 tablespoons evaporated milk

Melt caramel according to package directions. (I didn't have package directions, but I did have 17 individual Kraft caramels in my pantry, which was close to the 5 ounces required for 1/3 of the recipe. Rather than opening a can of evaporated milk, I used a couple of teaspoons of heavy cream. It seemed to work, although there was only enough for 15 cookies. The original recipe suggested using Peter's caramel that comes in a 5 pound block. I've never heard of that before, so maybe I'll look into it further.) Once melted, spread on the cooled shortbread cookie and let harden. You have to work fast or it will set up in the bowl. And don't touch it with your fingers unless you want to get burned!

Chocolate Layer
2 cups milk chocolate chips
2 teaspoons shortening

Combine and melt in the microwave (only 30 seconds or less at a time) until smooth. Spread over caramel on the cookies. Pop in freezer for a few minutes to set up. Then enjoy them!

Comments

  1. Top with a pecan!
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/caramel-pecan-shortbread/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment