Baked Eggs with Spinach and Mushrooms

Because it was too rainy too walk this morning, I had some extra time available to prepare breakfast and thought baked eggs would be a good choice. It was. My inspiration came from here, but I adapted it for two. And I didn't really measure ingredients either, but that's okay for this type of recipe.


Baked Eggs with Spinach and Mushrooms

8 cups fresh spinach
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
Salt, pepper, thyme to taste
1 tablespoon cream
2 eggs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Cook the spinach in a cast iron skillet until wilted and set aside. Wipe out the pan and add the oil. Saute the mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Add the spinach back. Stir in seasonings and cream. Spread out a bit and make a couple of wells. Crack an egg in each indentation and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 8-10 minutes.

Note: The original recipe said to bake for 15-30 minutes; however when I checked after 10 minjutes the yolks were already hard. Oven temperatures vary, so you'll need to experiment.

Updated: This week I baked the eggs at 350° for 15 minutes. And I didn't bother cooking vegetables first, just thawed some frozen spinach to act as a bed for the egg.

Comments