Southern Sweet Potato Pie


Although South Florida isn't really the Deep South, I figured we'd lived here long enough without trying Sweet Potato Pie that it was time to remedy the situation. I looked at the recipe for Aunt Ruby's pie along with Ruth's pie and came up with my own variation, mainly because I had neither 2 nor 3 but 2 1/2 cups of sweet potatoes to use. 

Southern Sweet Potato Pie

1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup evaporated milk
2 1/2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust

Cream the butter and sugar well. Mix in remaining ingredients (except pie crust) until well incorporated. Pour mixture into pie crust and bake at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
Top: before baking; Bottom: after
Notes: I went with this recipe because the posts I read said "real" Sweet Potato Pie isn't supposed to taste like Pumpkin Pie. Wayne's comment was, "Where's the cinnamon? And sugar? This tastes like a vegetable side dish, not dessert." I guess we'll give sweet potato pie one more chance, using a spicier, sweeter filling.


Comments