Roasted Brussels Sprouts

After Thanksgiving I was discussing side dishes with a friend, and she mentioned that she was thoroughly amazed with something her sister-in-law brought - Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes. She said it was delicious. I was quite intrigued with the combination, and decided I wanted to try it for myself. An quick internet search found a probable recipe. We tried roasting them once before, and while I liked them, others in the family didn't (although they did admit they were better than boiled brussels sprouts). They didn't particularly care for this version either, and I'll admit it wasn't my favorite vegetable combination.

Since I still had half the package in the fridge, when this recipe came through my blog feed, I decided to try it as well. This was much better; the sweetness of the fruit helped hide any of the unwanted "brussels sprouts" taste.


Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pears

1 1/2 pound brussels sprouts, halved (about 4 cups)
2 pears, cored and cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoons honey

Combine brussels sprouts, pears, onion, and olive oil in a baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Toss with lemon juice, cranberries and honey and serve.

Where do brussels sprouts fall on your scale of "Yuck or Yum"?

Comments