Something Special Zucchini

Every time I've made a zucchini casserole, Wayne is a bit disappointed because it doesn't quite taste like the recipe his mom used. While visiting them this week, she made her zucchini casserole and so I finally discovered the secret ingredient - American cheese! Since I rarely buy that, it's never been in our refrigerator for me to even think about adding to a zucchini casserole. However, maybe someday I'll try this version.


"Something Special" Zucchini

2 medium or 4 small zucchini, diagonally sliced
1 large sweet white onion, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
2 green peppers, sliced (Mom omits these.)
12 sliced American cheese (This is a recipe from Borden.)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter

In a buttered shallow 2-quart baking dish, arrange half of the zucchini around the sides and over the bottom of the dish. Add half of the onion, tomato, pepper and 4 of the cheese slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dot with half the butter. Repeat. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 to 60 minutes at 375 degrees,  the vegetables are tender. Remove foil, top with remaining cheese slices cut diagonally in half, and bake an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese softens. Serves 8.

You'll notice that it says until cheese softens, and not melts! Maybe that's what makes this "something special" - I don't know. I'm actually surprised that Wayne likes this so much, because he really doesn't like American cheese. I might try this once with Cheddar, but if that doesn't match his childhood memory I guess I'll just get some American cheese and try it again. 

Comments