Non-Dairy Desserts

For the next couple of months we'll be trying to cook without using milk and dairy products. It might be a challenge, but we're looking forwad to that. In case we need to do it again, I figured I'd try to record what worked and what didn't.

Pumpkin Cake - This recipe was called Harvest Pumpkin Brownies, but it's really more of a cake. I did make an optional cream cheese frosting, but this was still delicious with only a sprinkling of powdered sugar.

Pumpkin Wacky Cake - This recipe, which has been in our repertoire for decades, is quite similar to the above recipe. We like it with chocolate chips, but in order to be truly non-dairy, it's best to omit those.

Fudgy Coconut Oil Brownies - We wanted to make brownies without using butter, and found a recipe here. Since it looks pretty similar to one I use regularly, just substituting coconut oil for butter, I'm confident we'll like them.


Best Brownies - I was reminded that we have a recipe for brownies that uses shortening and not butter. We tried it again and still like it.


Italian Ice - Since we're having spaghetti for dinner, I searched "Italian desserts" for ideas and came across this recipe. Basically puree strawberries with a bit of sugar, honey and lemon juice and a bunch of ice. Freeze, stir, freeze and serve. Sounds not only delicious but healthy as well!


Funfetti Mug Cake - I made these in custard ramekins and used Halloween sprinkles since that holiday is just a couple of days away. (Note to self: black sprinkles don't look very funfetti-like.) I made one with almond milk and three with dairy milk; see if you can tell which is which!

Chocolate Banana Pudding - This recipe is simply bananas mixed with a bit of cocoa powder, coconut butter and non-dairy milk. Next time we have some soft bananas, we'll have to try it.


Peanut Butter Chocolate Pudding - We did try this recipe and it was scrumptious! Combine some cornstarch, sugar and cocoa powder - a regular cooked pudding recipe - and then use chocolate almond milk instead of regular milk. After it's come to a boil and thickened, stir in some peanut butter, which apparently is the secret ingredient to make it super creamy. You can find the recipe here.

Banana Snack Bars
- Since chocolate chips apparently do have some dairy in them, we only sprinkled them on part of the pan. Which side do you think I preferred? I'm grateful I don't have a dairy allergy!


German Chocolate Snack Cake - I adapted this recipe to make something quick and easy. First I halved the cake itself (using water instead of coffee) and baked it in an 8x8 square pan. I didn't feel like making the frosting (which had a bunch of cream and sugar) so just sprinkled coconut and pecans (and a few chocolate chips) on top of the batter before baking. The cake itself was nice and light; I really liked it and look forward to having it again, with or without the topping!

Comments