Cooking with Kids

Wayne read an article in some mailer with a few recipes and wanted to try them, so we did that the day our grandsons arrived. One of the listed ingredients - pimiento pasteurized cheese spread - brought back memories of my own childhood. 

However, I didn't particularly care for that ingredient so haven't ever purchased it myself. That made my "quick" trip to the grocery store for last minute Christmas items longer than it needed to be. After checking all the shelves myself, I had to ask for help. I figured it would be near the Velveeta, but that's also something I don't buy. Fortunately, the clerk knew where the Velveeta was located, and there was the pimiento cheese spread as well.


Turkey Tortilla Wrap

3 tablespoons pimiento cheese spread
2 flour tortillas
2 1/2 ounces smoked turkey breast slices
4 leaves leaf lettuce
1/4 cup honey Dijon dressing

Spread cheese spread evenly on tortillas. Top evenly with turkey and lettuce; roll up. Serve with dressing for dipping.

We liked this second recipe better, maybe because it was a hot sandwich and not a cold one. I also followed directions and purchased the can of French bread, but in the future I'll make my own. It tastes better, and it's cheaper, too.


Chicken Taco French Bread Pizza

1 can crusty French loaf
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
3/4 cup shredded cooked chicken
3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
optional toppings: green onions, black olives, diced tomatoes

Bake French bread as directed on packaging. Cut in half lengthwise, then crosswise and place on cookie sheet. Preheat oven to 450°. Combine tomato sauce and taco seasoning and spread on bread. Top with chicken, olives and cheese. Bake 10-13 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Cool 5 minutes before serving.

Comments