Beef Bourguignon

As it's turned a bit cooler (relatively speaking), Wayne mentioned he thought a nice warm soup would be nice for dinner, and that we haven't had "that yummy beef and mushroom stew" in a long, long time. He meant Beef Bourguignon, and he was correct; it's been years since I've made it. I remember the first time was over 30 years ago, and stirring and stirring the pot in our apartment kitchen is a fond memory. This time, however, I thought I'd try it in the Instant Pot. After all, we ought to use the gifts we've been given.

I threw away the cookbook that we used those many moons ago, but surfed the internet which provided enough guidance to create our own recipe. Look yourself, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of variations!

Beef Bourguignon

2 pounds chuck steak, cut into cubes
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
2 strips bacon, diced
1/2 cup red wine substitute
2 1/2 cups beef broth
3-4 carrots, sliced
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup pearl onions**
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried thyme

Combine flour, salt and pepper and dredge beef with the mixture. In pan, cook bacon until almost crisp, then add beef to brown. Add remaining ingredients and cook until done. For the instant pot, this would be about 30 minutes under pressure. On the stove, this would be several hours, and it would be wise to save the vegetables for the last hour or so, and to add more liquid as required.

Serve in a bowl, or over cooked noodles or mashed potatoes if desired.

** I don't know if I've ever purchased pearl onions before! It took a while to find them in the grocery store, but I did. Then I learned that the easiest way to peel them is to blanch them in boiling water for a minute. I'm not sure the difference in the stew was enough to warrant the extra labor - next time I'll just chop up a regular onion - but I'm glad I tried something new at least once!

Comments