Bean Dips

Watching our football team lose yesterday was sad, but having friends over to help us commiserate made it bearable. Trying some new recipes helped as well. Here's one a friend served several years ago that I made again to share with new friends.


Jourdan's Bean Dip

1 package taco seasoning mix
1 small onion, finely diced, about 1/3 cup
1 can (16 oz.) refried beans
1 cup sour cream
8 oz. cream cheese
1-2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Combine everything and heat in microwave or bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

This is how the recipe reads as it was given to me. Of course, I had to make some adaptations. First, I don't use packaged taco seasoning, but mix my own spices together. You can find my recipe here. Second, instead of opening a can of refried beans, I used some cooked pinto beans from the freezer and blended them in the food processor. It probably ended up being equal to two cans, but it still worked. Third, I had some queso fresco in the fridge, so I used that instead of the cream cheese. Cream cheese would probably be better, but this was fine. Lastly, I used a Mexican cheese blend instead of plain cheddar, also because that's what was open in the fridge. As you can see this is a very forgiving recipe.

One of our friends also brought over some bean dip, and it was delicious as well. They got the recipe from another friend, who got it from another friend, who got it from another friend. Aren't friends wonderful! Because it was so popular, I figured I could find a similar recipe on the internet, and I did. This one from Six Sisters seemed most like the one we had.

Cowboy Caviar

5-6 roma tomatoes, diced
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14 oz) can corn, drained
½ medium onion, diced (I used a purple onion)
1 avocado, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons diced jalapenos (more or less, depending on how hot you prefer it)
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¾ cup Italian dressing
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Mix together tomatoes, black beans, corn, onion, avocado, green pepper, and jalapenos in a large bowl. Sprinkle garlic powder on top, then stir in dressing and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.
They suggested using the "scoop" chips because you will want to get a lot of this with every bite.

Both of these were very good, but I still think my favorite bean dip is this one - Warm Black Bean Dip.

Edited to add one more - It's a Smash Dip - simply combine a can of chili with 8 ounces of cream cheese. Heat in microwave, stir, and serve with tortilla chips.

Comments