Make-a-Mix Meatballs


I was ready to use our standard meatball recipe for dinner when I realized that I ought to make a gluten-free version instead. Fortunately, I discovered that I could substitute dry instant mashed potatoes for the bread crumbs. It worked, although the appearance isn't the greatest. While I'm thankful I don't have to follow a gluten-free diet, I'm also grateful to know that I can add to my list of gluten-free recipes for when we have guests that can't eat gluten.


Here's the recipe if you don't want to make them ahead and only want to do enough for dinner tonight.

Meatballs

1 pound ground beef
1 egg
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (or instant mashed potatoes)
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion (dried is fine)
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Combine everything and form into meatballs. Using a cookie scoop helps make them uniform in size, but I still end up rolling them between my palms anyway. Place on a rimmed cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Makes about 36 meatballs.

Comments