Potato Salad

This is another one of those recipes, like coleslaw, that I usually just create on my own, so that each time it's different. However, on a recent camping trip we picked up some Amish potato salad from the Walmart deli and really, really liked it. When Wayne requested potato salad to go with our Memorial Day hamburgers, I decided to see if I could find a similar recipe. Here's the one I (mostly) followed - Chocolate Moosey's Amish Potato Salad.

Favorite Potato Salad

  • 4 potatoes, cooked, peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
  • 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and diced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/2 small onion, diced (about 1/4 cup - yellow, red or green)
  • 1 small carrot, peeled and grated (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1-2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1-2 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 1-2 tablespoons pickle relish
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Combine all the ingredients well and chill for at least one hour, but overnight would be better. 

Note: I made this using just one tablespoon each of sugar, vinegar, and mustard (instead of the 2 tablespoons called for in the original recipe). Wayne said it was very good, but could have even more of the vinegar taste. I added some chopped dill pickles to the remaining salad, and that resulted in a "this could be our go-to potato salad recipe" comment. Then I confessed to halving the vinegar and mustard (but not the sugar!) and so now next time I need to make it without the pickles and with the two tablespoons of vinegar and mustard. We'll see if I remember!

Comments