Creamy Swirled Brownies

I felt like making brownies, yet I also knew there was cream cheese in the fridge that needed to be used, so I went looking for a marbled brownie recipe. Here's the one I adapted. (It looks like it was meant to be lower calorie than usual, but since finding a "healthy" brownie wasn't my intent, I made my own substitutions.) Oh, and here's another recipe to consider; it might be more "fudgy" but it only used 1/2 block of cream cheese, and I wanted something to use the whole block. Note that the recipe below is on the "cake-like" side, but still quite delicious. If you want to use a plate and fork, a drizzle of chocolate syrup would be fabulous.

Cream Cheese Swirled Brownies 

  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup sugar, divided
  • 2 eggs, divided
  • 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
Cream together the cream cheese and 1/4 cup sugar. Beat in one egg white (save the egg yolk) until smooth and set aside. Using a different bowl, but the same beaters, cream the margarine with the remaining 3/4 cup sugar. Beat in the egg and egg yolk along with the vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa powder and salt and stir into the mixture. Spread this batter in a greased 9x9" baking pan. Dollop the cream cheese mixture on top and swirl with a knife. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until the brownie edges pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool completely before cutting into bars.



Comments