Clarified Butter


Before serving Wayne lobster, I usually just quickly melt some butter in the microwave and call it good. For our lobster leftovers (from this recipe), he requested drawn, or clarified, butter. (To my knowledge, they're the same thing.) And since he asked in advance, I tried to make some.

I walked away from the kitchen during my first attempt, and it turned into browned butter. Oops!

So, I tried again, remembering to pay more attention to the stove. The butter melted, there wasn't anything to skim off as I expected, and I stuck it in the fridge. A couple of hours later, there was a layer of liquid on the bottom. I fished out the solid chunk on top and remelted it to serve with dinner. It wasn't as clear as we expected clarified butter ought to be; maybe I should have strained it first. Oh well! It worked.

Maybe it really doesn't need chilling; I skipped that step in this recipe a couple of years ago.

Comments