Potatoes au Gratin

 

Wayne's not necessarily a fan of scalloped potatoes, so although my mom made them frequently when I was growing up, and I quite enjoyed them, I haven't made them very often for the past few decades. However, I felt in the mood for some this week. I figured if I added lots of cheese - turning them into "au gratin" instead of plain scalloped - they might go over better. Apparently, I should have added even more cheese! However, using red potatoes along with my mandolin, made this recipe successful. I loved them!

Potatoes au Gratin

  • 2 1/2 pounds red potatoes
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 1/2 cups grated cheese (Cheddar, white Cheddar, Gruyère, etc.)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Thinly slice the potatoes, as thinly as possible, then stack them upright in a greased casserole dish. Briefly cook the onions in the butter, then stir in the flour and milk. Bring to a boil to thicken, then add the cheese and stir until melted. Pour the sauce over the potatoes, making sure they are all covered. Cover with foil. Bake at 400 degrees for one hour. Remove the foil, top with more cheese if desired, and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes. Let set for 10-15 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8.


It works with regular russet potatoes layered horizontally as well.


Note: My mom layered sliced potatoes with a sprinkle of flour, salt and pepper in a casserole dish, then poured milk over the potatoes, and put them in the oven to bake while we were at church. That's much simpler than making a white sauce to pour over the potatoes, and as I recall, it worked just fine.

Comments