Mom's Crescent Rolls

Here's the first roll recipe I ever tried - the one I got from my mom.

White Rolls

2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
2 teaspoons salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup powdered milk
7-8 cups flour

Soften yeast in water. Add remaining ingredients. Knead for 8 minutes and let rise until double in size, about one hour. Turn onto floured board and cut in quarters. Let set for 10 minutes. Roll out and make desired rolls.

  Place on greased pans, cover and let rise 15-20 minutes. Bake at 375° for 9-10 minutes. Makes 4 dozen.

Edited April 2019:

Today for dinner I was trying to decide between this recipe and the one my sister-in-law uses, found here, when I realized I could make a couple of adjustments and create my own, so I did. And they turned out just as great as either recipe has in the past.


Easter Dinner Rolls

1/2 cup warm water
2 tablespoons yeast
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
2 teaspoons salt
7-8 cups flour

Dissolve the yeast in the water, adding about 1 tablespoon of the sugar at the same time. Then put the remaining sugar, oil, eggs and milk to the bowl and stir to combine.. Add 3-4 cups of flour along with the salt and start mixing together. Add the rest of the flour a cup at a time and knead for several minutes, until the desired consistency is reached. Cover and let rise for about an hour. Punch down the dough, form desired rolls*, let rise another 20-30 minutes, then bake at 375 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes.

*Today I divided the dough in half, rolled it into a large circle, spread softened butter on top, cut into 16 wedges with a pizza cutter, rolled each piece up and placed on the cookie sheet. Crescent rolls look pretty, but Wayne prefers just round ones; they're easier to cut, butter and jam.

Comments