Mother's One Pan Family Meal

This recipe came from Gloria in Beaumont Texas; how, I have no idea, but that's what it says in my recipe binder. We like it, though, so thank you Gloria. 

Mother's One Pan Family Meal 

1 cup uncooked rice
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 can creamed corn
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese

Cover the bottom of a 9x13" pan with rice. Brown ground beef and onion together; drain. Add remaining ingredients except cheese and still well. Pour over the rice. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese.

Note: I used thawed wheat/meat and didn't heat anything before pouring it over the rice. It took about 90 minutes for it to cook. However, I expected that because that's how long my chicken and rice recipe takes, so dinner was still on time. It may only take 25 minutes in the oven if your mixture is boiling first.

Another note: Amazingly this week I was out of creamed corn, so I used regular canned corn instead. I also had a half can of cream of mushroom soup in the fridge, so substituted that for the whole can of cream of chicken soup. And I never have Rotel tomatoes; I just use regular canned tomatoes for that. As you can see, it's a very forgiving recipe.

Comments