Chicken Chow Mein

I remember having Chow Mein fairly often as a child. I'm sure it was a very Americanized version. In fact, I recall it being one of my mom's very simple recipe, using a few canned goods. When I tried recreating the dish, usually on camping trips, my own family wasn't terribly exicted about it, so I stopped making it. However, we had an opened can of chow mein noodles in the pantry, left over from Hawaiian Haystacks, and I felt like trying a non-can version of Chow Mein. This recipe was a good one. Although I didn't open any cans, instead of using fresh chicken, I reconstituted some freeze-dried chicken bits, and instead of chopping up my own, I used a bag of frozen Oriental mixed vegetables. This would taste a lot better without those short-cuts, but it was still a good meal, and I definitely liked the sauce, and since that's really what I was searching for, I'll call this a success!


Chow Mein Sauce

  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • dash white pepper
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
Combine all ingredients and stir into hot, stir-fried chicken and vegetables. Cook until thickened. Add some chow mein noodles and serve. Note that the longer between adding the noodles and serving, the less crunchy they'll become.

Comments